My Office Style

I am now working two days a week as a Brand Ambassador for Mary Portas’ Living and Giving shop here in Edinburgh. Not only am I happy to be there because the job involves contacting Scottish designers and boutiques, working with a group of brilliant people and being around clothes all day long but it couldn’t be more different from my cafĂ© job which, after six months, has lost quite a lot of its original appeal.
The novelty of being able to get dressed up for this new, clean, fashionable job is making me unbelievably excited! I have been getting re-acquainted with my beloved wardrobe of eclectic clothes which I have lovingly collected over the years. No more wearing my oldest, yuckiest clothes because they’ll be wrecked by coffee; now I’m happily flicking through the hangers in my wardrobe and choosing my nicest clothes to don for the office!
Vintage Chelsea Girls pinafore. Vintage Next stripey long-sleeved crop. Brora Scarf.

Unlabeled printed trousers bought from Mary's Living and Giving. Thrifted Primark tee.

However, whilst choosing outfits of a morning I have realised that my happy-go-lucky, often vintage collection of clothes is severely lacking in day-to-day, smart basics such as a pair of nice dark jeans, smart but sexy shoes and a blazer or two.
This deficit saw me heading out to the high street shops at the weekend. This is a very uncommon occurrence in my life. Charity and vintage shops are almost always my retailers of choice but it’s quite hard to find jeans, shoes and smart jackets in these establishments (no coincidence then that these are the things I need!).  I realised when I got home empty handed from what was meant to be a shopping spree that, in fact, my ‘alternative’ shopping choices have spoilt me. I manage to pick up designer and quality clothing from charity shops at brilliantly low prices and so, when I go into high street shops and see garments made from flimsy nylon which cost more than I would ever dream of spending on beautiful clothes in charity shops, I immediately give up.
This gets me no closer to my goal of finding quality basic key pieces. I made a foray into online shopping but it is impossible to know if I like a garment without being able to touch the fabric and try it on (and I’m useless at sending things back, even if the biggest online fashion outlet offers free returns!).
Fever dress. H&M jacket. Qube brogues. Thrifted scarf


Vintage French Connection embriodered shirt

I think this shirt was originally made for children! It's one of my favourite thrifty finds EVER!

It looks likely that I will have to just keep getting creative with what I wear to Mary’s twice a week which is actually proving to be very fun. I feel like I’m back at college where I didn’t wear the same outfit twice for a whole year! I forgot how much I love my own whacky fashion attempts!


Comments

crunicorn said…
eBay can be great for picking up bargains. I know you can't touch fabrics or try things on but if you know the sizes you are in certain brands you can do pretty well and also have the benefit of selling the item on again if it isn't for you!
Ellen said…
Thanks for the tip! I have been considering using eBay to sell some clothes that aren’t worthy of a vintage sale (I like to keep my special vintage finds anyway) to make room for new clothes and also to make some money. I'll definitely look at buying on there too now that you’ve suggested it!

Popular Posts