Charity Retail Therepy

When it is hailing gravel in squalls outside and it STILL seems to be January what better way to distract yourself than to put on First Aid Kit, don some thermal underwear and write a well-overdue blog post on your latest charity shop gleaned treasures.  Or read one!
I saw this sweet display case with red velvety lining outside an equally sweet charity shop which is the last truly traditional charity shop left in this area. I have wanted an old type case for a long time but this was only £3 so I couldn’t refuse it even if it isn't the real thing! I have always been a huge hoarder of pebbles, stones and shells so now they have a home. As do the Peruvian husband and wife who also have a shell bedroom! (January blues will be dispelled by miniature character story telling!)
Apart from this particularly happy-making piece of bric n’ brac my thrifty buys have been orientated on finding some new, smart work clothes for my very exciting new job as Assistant Manager at Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland. I can hardly believe my luck at getting paid (and raising lots of money for a great cause) to take part in my favourite past time on a regular basis in a really beautiful boutique charity shop! (pictures to come soon).
I’ve been shocked by my restraint when sorting through the often amazing donations we get into the shop. I thought it best not to snaffle too much away for myself during the first few weeks of the job but the urge even now is to put the best things out for customers. So, although I bagged (and paid for!) this mega cosy chocolate sheepskin coat, I am spending my days off shopping all of the other charity shops as a guilt-free customer!
You know that maddening thing that happens when you are looking for a specific garment, accessory or shoe and you start seeing the perfect specimen of your desired object everywhere on really cool people that you’re too scared to ask where they got it/them from!? This has been happening to me with Chelsea boots. They seem to be everywhere now that I want a pair! But none that I have seen in the shops have been as perfect as ones I see on cool people’s feet!
I finally bought these ones from Clarks in the sale because a) I’ve got huge love for Clarks and b) they’re SO comfy. They’re smart too and will hopefully be an easy option to slip on with my new trousers or skirt to make up a nice wee work uniform.

I’ve wanted to accumulate gold bracelets from charity shops for ages but they’ve never been very nice but suddenly there’s been a flurry and now I have a whole arm of them!
I couldn’t resist this black and gold knit dress from the vintage rail of Barnado’s. There was a lovely cream and lilac paisley jacket from Toast there too which was very nearly mine but the new restrained (i.e quite boring) charity shop angel on my shoulder popped up and betrayed me by telling me it would look better on someone else who would love it more. I hope she doesn’t show up too often!
I’ll leave you with a portrait of a hoarder’s bedside. In a few days January will be over, the days will get longer and holiday time will be four months closer!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wonderful! Sez xxx

Popular Posts