A Birthday At The Beach

As the first birthday in as long as I can remember not to be celebrated with a big party at home with all of my old friends and family I wanted my 24th to be about going to the beach, eating scones and cream, basking in the sun and celebrating quietly with two of my most loved ones; my mum and step dad!
I was lucky enough to get exactly what I wished for. Isn’t that what birthdays are for after all?


We drove the coastal road into East Lothian and on to the unbelievably stunning Yellowcraigs beach.  Arriving to find families already playing in the sand and paddling in the sea reminded me of long summer days at the beach when I was a little girl. Beach visits feel so timeless. No matter the era there are the swimsuit clad children, the buckets and spades and the sandy sandwiches!



After a lot of lying on the beach reading our books and marvelling at the HOT sunshine we hauled ourselves reluctantly off the beach in search of refreshments. That came in the form of a ploughman’s lunch and a CREAM TEA in the local café! (my theory that unplanned adventures are always the best is proven again!) The décor was almost spookily reminiscent of my shop!


The sun was still blazing after our epic feast so we walked to Gullane Bents and found that the beach was even busier there even though it was nearing evening. I must have got inspired by all of the brave children who seem not to feel the cold and just splash around like excitable seals in the shallows. I decided that I couldn't let my 23rd year go by without having swum in the sea! So in I went! For all of about twenty seconds!

I was quite pleased with myself! And it was a brilliant finale to a really spectacular day. We drove back into town and scrubbed up for dinner at Hotel de Vin. I wore my new black jumpsuit which is a new firm favourite in my reduced wardrobe, ate moules frites and opened presents from lovely absent friends. Photos to follow.
Thank you M&M for EVERYTHING xxx

Comments

Laura said…
Happy birthday!

PS I very much like your dress.
Ellen said…
Thank you very much Laura!

Popular Posts