Capital!


A much anticipated and long-awaited trip to London at the end of October acted as a bit of a recce to discover whether our magical and completely mad capital city could feature in my future life plans.



Four days of unbridled joy and extravagant spending ensued. In every minute spent negotiating confusing transport links, reluctantly sacrificing of my personal space on the tube and finding my way without (shock horror!) the use of a smart phone I felt like I had aged five years!







After the initial shock of the crowds and fast-forwarded pace of life (which meant that many stops for cake were called for) Megan and I felt embroiled in the maelstrom! To feel like essential but entirely unrecognised parts of such a vibrant whole is somehow very freeing.





Many of my university friends and old childhood peers have moved to the bright lights of the city. Happy hours were spent eating Hummingbird Bakery pumpkin cupcakes in the quintessentially autumnal Kensington Gardens, brunching at the Delaunay, hunting for red bean bao in Chinatown, swooning over the vintage clothing section at Liberty and discovering the delights of Peckham including The Begging Bowl, Review bookshop and an amazing little market under a railway line with a few rails of great vintage threads.








Trips which make you feel like you’ve fallen down the rabbit hole into Wonderland and are totally free of the conventional trappings of life are what I hope to create more of in 2014. More on that to follow!

Thank you Megan, Esther, Steve, Michael, Becki, Alice, Aidan, Esme, Andy and Kathleen for making it all MUCH FUN! Who knows, maybe I’ll be back for an extended visit sometime soon!

Comments

Popular Posts