Returning


Returning, travelling home across the sea and into the sweet nostalgia of home, the easy happy drift of familiar conversation, full-bellied relaxation and a summery garden full of flowers and love. So much love it spills and flows out of all the sore, scratched, dented edges of you. That’s what coming home feels like. 


But the thing is that, this time, I am not just returning home but I have left a home in Malawi. I have left my sister and brother there and so many friends and red dirt tracks with huge potholes that shake your bones when you’re gripping on to the back of a bike taxi. And the low slung sun and the second hand markets, cassava by the roadside, my daily walk to work and saying ‘Mowka ooli’ to everyone I see. 


As happy as I am to be home I miss Malawi life like a dull ache every day. Beautiful, happy, inherently positive, safe, lovely Malawi. 


How very blessed I feel for having a home away from home on the continent of all of my life long dreams. Thank God it was everything and more than I ever wanted. I’m so excited to go back very soon. 

Comments

Popular Posts