25 Weeks Poem

RIDDLE

I have two heads,
four eyes,
at least 50 teeth -
four lungs,
two stomachs,
twenty toes and four feet.
I have two ovaries,
perhaps 4, but just as likely,
two testes too.
I've got all of these things
but look just like you

Who am I?

*

The body that I hold inside
is part of me, but it's not mine.
In three months time you'll be ‘earthside’ 
and already your own person.

Your body, that I grow inside,
is only half the equation.

When is a soul born, I wonder?
Perhaps I hold two souls now too,
or maybe yours flows into you 
at birth -  that day that already brings 
so many beginnings.

To know you now is to feel you kick -
the tiny punches to my ribs -
to imagine your skin, your face, your name,
but none of these things will define you,
and they may change.

I'll never know all of you.
You are a mystery to me now and
aspects of you always will be.
But I will be happy to learn everything
you're willing to teach me.

I hope you'll confide in me.

We made a choice to make a baby.
But you chose us to be your parents.
Whoever you are, whoever you become
I'll treasure this time when we are one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Such beautiful words from a beautiful woman xx

Popular Posts