Evening Blues


Another precious day is gone
and so fast.  Have I kissed his
sweet face enough, looked him 
in the eye, sang to him,
cradled him and soothed him
as he cried?

Another night is closing in
and I feel weepy again.
Ancestors draw near at this
hour but I miss their physical
presence - want to announce
his arrival down the line,
starting with my grandparents

Another restless night watching
for his little bird breath in his 
little bird chest. Loving having
him next to me and craving the
feeling of warm legs stretched out
into cool sheets. I stay curled
around him, always on high alert
for stray sheets and pillows that
could cover him.

We'll try and swaddle him, take him
into bed when he wriggles free, inevitably.
We'll change his outfit three times before
falling into fitful sleep. We'll make up
songs in the early hours and laugh as he
pees down the wall again, even if it is 3am.

every time I wake up I think;
"Is he mine? I have a baby. I grew him".

Each day is an anniversary of his,
another day growing fatter on
the milk that just flows, miraculously.
I don't want him to grow, I only want him
to grow. the two truths live together 
in my heart. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful sentiments

Popular Posts