Sketching in the Gallery


Today we went to the National Gallery of Scotland. I was enchanted by the beautiful marble statue by Lorenzo Bartolini of the Campbell sisters which sees them walking together, heads conspiratorially close, fingers flowing through fabric and dresses billowing in the wind. I am always amazed at the genius that can turn a block of stone into a moving, animated piece of art. (Unfortunately I wasn’t able to take a photo of the sculpture but you should take my word for it and go and have a look if you are ever in Edinburgh).
I wish everyday life could be a bit more like life in a gallery.  I love the quiet and the way people feel comfortable just to sit down and take stock of the amazing things around them. I was excited enough at having found such a lovely haven in the city when D came to tell me that he had heard a free sketching session was about to take place in the gallery.

Everything about being allowed to make messy charcoal art, in a gallery, with a really enthusiastic and encouraging teacher (Damian Callan) and a model dressed up to look like a woman from one of the Renaissance paintings, fills me with joy. It was free too!

The finished article (out of practice+charcoal=slightly wonky woman!)
The National Gallery also runs other classes and courses including life drawing, painting, printmaking and creative writing. I will definitely be going back for more.

Comments

Popular Posts