Inspirational Surprise Christmas Gifts

I love surprises. Especially surprise presents. This year I have been very lucky to receive some lovely gifts and, as well as being lovely, these presents from my nearest and dearest (who seem to know me better than myself sometimes) serve as physical reminders of my passions, favourite spare-time hobbies and even some things that I should be doing more of, or focussing my attention on, in the coming year so that I feel I am making the most of being alive! (a relevant topic with New Year’s resolutions on everyones’ minds).

So here are the presents and what they symbolise for me.


This little gem is a laptop case by Ted Baker from my boyfriend who is always very supportive and praiseworthy of my writing. His belief in me and this classy present have both given me a new burst of inspiration and motivation to carry on writing even when work takes up a lot of my time and there are no deadlines to spur me on. I hope in 2012 to continue to write poetry and maybe even have some pieces published!



This beautiful bracelet, from my step-mum, is not only cute but it instantly made me think of my long-held dream to one day volunteer at a turtle conservation project. I would so love to see these amazing, pre-historic looking creatures giving birth to their tiny babies and then to help the new generation get to the sea before being picked off my seagulls and other predators. Once in the sea the tiny little turtles stand a better chance of surviving to adulthood.


What a lorra lovely treats! I hope this yummy collection will persuade me to take more time out for pampering in the New Year. I am all the more grateful for these presents because, after long days on my feet at the café getting covered in coffee, I feel in desperate need of baths and massages!


I love these Laura Ashley cushions from my Mum. They help to make our new flat feel like home and the leather sofas a little less chilly! As I mentioned in my last post I feel the urge to nestle down at home and not move from the sofa for a few months now that the busy lead up to Christmas and New Year is over, and these cushions will make a very nice nest!


D’s Mum, a brilliant writer and a journalist in the 70s, is always ready to provide a helping hand with any editing and was a big support in my last year of university. She gave me a subscription to the amazing Mslexia, a magazine for women who write, last year and I was so taken with it that she has kindly done the same again. I really recommend this magazine if you are a writer hoping to get published (as they have lots of great advice and details of publishers and literary agents) or are just interested in the writing/publishing industry. It certainly helps to get my creative juices flowing and I will refer to it if ever I try to get my poetry published.


Last but most definitely not least is this absolutely fabulous book from my gorgeous friend Megan. It not only gives lots of fascinating details about fashion through the ages but also where you can source vintage gems from! And it doesn’t overlook our old friend the charity shop. In short, it’s perfect. This will be my go-to guide for any fashion whims I have this year and will hopefully give me ideas of where to find the key pieces I need to make any vintage look come together.

Happy New Year everybody! I hope you had a spectacular time. After all of my talk of staying in and having a quiet one D&I actually went on a huge adventure. More on that next time xxx

Comments

Gwen said…
Glad to hear you went on an adventure for Hogmanay - give us another post to hear how Edinburgh does it well.

Popular Posts