Scotland by Train: Edinburgh to Inverness

Last time I went to Inverness I was ten years old and it was the Millennium. We went on the train that time too but all I remember of the journey are the crowds of people spilling out onto the dark streets of Inverness and being carried through the mass on the way to see Runrig play a open air gig on that particularly stupendous New Year.

Twelve years later and my Mum and I are again on the train to the Highland capital, this time to renew old friendships and visit family who, from our home in the Cotswolds at least, usually seem very remote. Inverness is still roughly three hours from Edinburgh (nowhere is that close in the wilds of Scotland!) but the beautiful views from the train, some lovely food, my new knitting and a much needed catch up with my Mum filled the time splendidly.

The spring issue of Mslexia came through my door the day before we left- it includes a very interesting article about being a blogaholic whilst also finding time to creatively write.

From Waverly station we caught the train to Perth and then another (very nearly missed because of a hold up on our first train. The connecting train to Inverness waited for the dozen or so people on our train who needed to catch it- a big thumbs up to ScotRail!) which took us through sweetly named places like Pitlochry, Dalwhinnie and Kingussie and the ever more white and wonderful Perthshire and the Scottish Highlands.


The visit was long overdue and the train journey such a joyful surprise that I will be returning very soon with D to show it to him too.

Thank you Mummy for the lovely company x

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you too Ellen! How about a mention for that fabulous bagel (pictured)?!
Ellen said…
It deserves it and I would have but I can't remember what the shop was called!

Popular Posts