Whitmuir: The Organic Place

Last Saturday we spent the whole day in the company of good friends out in the grey but beautiful countryside of the Pentlands at Whitmuir organic farm. Since completing the fashion show project I’ve been somewhat avoiding boring adult life and, instead, heading off on exciting excursions with D. We went rock climbing at Ratho, the world’s largest indoor climbing centre and out to our favourite seaside haunts, Anstruther and Lower Largo, to eat fish n’ chips in the last of the milky- sun warmth.
I usually feel the very urgent need to go out into the countryside every week when I live in a city. However, surrounded by the wide open streets of Edinburgh and with the botanic gardens and Inverleith Park just a stone’s throw away I think less and less of getting out of town. When we pulled up at the lovely wooden-clad farm shop and restaurant at Whitmuir though I realised how much I’ve missed being out in the wind and rain on top of a hill with a view.

After a brunch of eggy rolls next the huge wood burning stove we headed out onto the farm. In my new wellies I battled through inches of clagging mud and balanced precariously over barbed wire fences to reach a vantage point where we could see the farms and woodland stretching away into the misty horizon. The shaggy black coos were nonplussed by our presence.

There was a wet but jolly car boot sale to rummage around in afterwards and the beautiful art gallery and farm shop to browse. The shop has lots of lovely fair-trade wooden toys for children, luscious organic make-up, delicious looking artisan breads and organic veg of course!



I suppose it’s now time to get back to the grind stone of finding some new employment- that elusive first ‘proper’ job hunt is back on! But I’ll leave you, and myself, with this picture to keep spirits high.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad to see the crop of Scottish apples was better than that in Gloucestershire; and the celeriac look fab too. It's good to see you gainfully employed on the digger ...

Popular Posts