In These Shoes


In these shoes, in less than two weeks, I will board a plane to the continent that has intrigued me since I was a child. These shoes will walk me over the threshold of my new Malawian home, down the streets of Mzuzu and into the workplaces that are, as yet, unknown to me.

I will Strip the Willow in these shoes when my team mates and I dance a, perhaps not entirely correct but at least exuberant, ceilidh as part of a welcoming ceremony during our in-country orientation.

These shoes will become part of a select and precious array of necessary items that I will carry with me. My life’s possessions will narrow to what I can fit in a backpack and every item will be imbued with significance and meaning by the time I return to England in July.

My backpack is sitting slumped on the landing waiting to be stuffed full to the brim; I’ve started small piles of things I need to pack all over the house and I’m picking up my prescription of malaria tablets tomorrow.

Very soon I will be all set. I’ll take a deep breath; remember that it really isn’t about looking good (lucky, that!) and don my walking boots, backpack and money belt and probably shed more than a couple of tears before getting on the coach to Heathrow.

In these shoes I will take the first steps on a journey of a lifetime. I cannot wait!

Comments

Popular Posts