'Feel Free!'


We have arrived!

After a 35 hour journey we arrived in Mzuzu tired but very excited. We spent three days at a hostel in Mzuzu meeting our Malawian counterpart volunteers and learning about global development and ways in which we will be personally developing and helping the community in Mzuzu.

We already feel so at home in this city. Everyone in Malawi is so friendly and when greeting people they are extremely open, welcoming and warm. I thought I would spend a lot of time homesick but there is really no time to be sad in such a happy community.


Half of our team have now travelled to meet their host families in the rural town of Sangilo. It was very emotional saying goodbye as we have become like one big family. We will see them again in 5 week's time when we have a two day holiday at lake Malawi.

We met our host families the day before yesterday. I am placed with a manager of one of the NGOs we are working with here. Some of us are living with families with young children but my family is made up of siblings and cousins. It seems usual practice here to house and feed any family members (or hungry looking UK volunteers for that matter!) so my host home is always busy with people and me and my counterpart, Blessings, are being made to feel very welcome.

Today we had our first day working for the NGOs we have been placed with. I am going to be part of a team working for the organisation Young Voices which runs a spelling competition for pupils from local primary schools to develop learning and attendance. We will also be focusing on the pupil's general hygiene by running teacher training sessions and lessons with the children.


Life in Malawi doesn't feel too far removed from life at home because we feel so welcomed. We have to get used to living a more basic way of life but in terms of love, family and support life here seems as rich if not more so than in the UK.

We are about a week in and I couldn't be happier to be here. I know I am making friends for life and we've already been through so much together.

Internet is patchy and I am not able to get into my e-mail account so please check back here for details of all that we are achieving here and my personal journey!

Love from Mzuzu! x

Comments

Popular Posts